We at The Baobab Network take steps to ensure how your personal information is used and shared, we take this process very seriously. If you have any questions about how data is used on The Baobab Network website please email [email protected].
What do we collect
During the newsletter subscription, event registration, accelerator application or investor network sign up, we ask for personal details such as name, email address and company details. Your email address will be used to inform you of new services, releases, upcoming news and other changes such as those to our Terms of Service.
We may post user testimonials on our website. These testimonials will include names and other personal information, we acquire permission from our users prior to posting.
We collect certain data on the start-up ecosystem in Africa, such as (but not limited to) start-ups, investors, investments and supporting organisations, through our business operations and research. We seek permission to publish elements of this data where applicable.
How do we collect and store this data?
Most of the personal information is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- You have made an enquiry to us
- You have applied to The Baobab Network
- You subscribe to our newsletters
- You have applied for a job with us
- You have engaged with us as a representative of your organisation
- You have registered to attend one of our events
Data is stored in our records and with third parties that provide essential services, it is only accessible on a need-to-know basis.
- You have the right to access: You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information. This right always applies.
- You have the right to rectify information: You have the right to ask us to update any information which you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete any information you think is incomplete. This right always applies.
- You have the right to erase your data: Under certain circumstances, such as the termination of Service, you have the right to ask for your personal information to be erased from our systems.
Service usage data
Usage details such as time, frequency, duration and pattern of use is collected and stored to help us to enhance the service and provide our users with the best possible service.
If you are a resident of the European Union, United Kingdom, Lichtenstein, Norway or Iceland, you may have additional rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) with respect to your personal data.
We share Personal Data with third-party service providers who work on our behalf and provide us with services described within our Terms of Service. These include:
- Payment processors
- Fraud prevention service providers
- Analytics service providers
- Hosting service providers
We share Personal Data where necessary to complete financial transactions initiated or authorised by you or provide you with a service you have requested.
We seek to protect Personal Data using appropriate measures:
- The Baobab Network website uses SSL (https)
- Account passwords are encrypted when stored in our database
- Access to Payment Processes is limited on a need-to-know basis
We retain Personal Data about you for as long as you have previously opened an account with us or as otherwise necessary to provide you Services. In some cases, we retain Personal Data for longer if necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, or collect fees owed.
We do not knowingly collect or solicit Personal Data from anyone under the age of 16. If you are 16 or under, please do not register or subscribe to any of our services. If we learn that we have collected Personal Data from a child under the age of 16 we will delete that information.
Usage of Personal Data
In certain circumstances, we do share certain data with third parties as part of the Service that we provide as outlined in the Terms of Service.
We do not, and will not share your information with any third parties for the purposes of direct marketing.
Our Service provides links to other websites, the privacy notice does not cover how that organisation processes your personal information. We encourage you to read the privacy notices on the other websites you visit.
When you visit The Baobab Network website, we use a third-party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out such things as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way that does not directly identify anyone. We do not make and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website.